16 September 2019

Bishop Tobin on Moving Beyond First Impressions

"A while back I was caught in a major traffic jam on my way to work when a humongous truck, an eighteen-wheeler, was trying to merge into traffic from the entrance ramp. The behemoth was right next to me, lurking over me, edging ever nearer. 'No way it's getting in front of me,' I said to myself as I pulled up even closer to the car in front of me. You see, I really hate driving right behind huge trucks.

"But then I saw the driver's face in his side mirror, and my attitude changed. 'It's not just a truck; it's a human being behind the wheel,' I realized. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Bishop Thomas J. Tobin, of the Diocese of Providence (RI), reflected on the importance of seeing, in each person we meet, the "person with their own histories, problems and every day challenges."

To access Bishop Tobin's complete essay, please visit:

The Imitation of Christ: Beyond First Impressions (12 SEP 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment