14 September 2019

Brett Robinson on Technology for Contemplation

"I can't say that I live in a smart home. For one thing, I'm not smart enough to figure out half of the gadgets that can answer my queries like some kind of maidservant savant while monitoring the freshness of my refrigerator.

"Another problem is that all these devices that promise to save money actually cost a lot of money themselves. Two hundred dollars for a doorbell that sends pictures of the person at the door. I'll stick to the window, thanks.

"I suppose I have officially joined the older set that no longer sees every new invention as proof of our species' superiority and begins noticing the cracks in technological culture.. . .


"And yet, there are a few hidden examples where technology and tradition intersect in some interesting ways."

In a recent commentary, Brett Robinson, Ph.D. (director of communications and Catholic media studies at the University of Notre Dame McGrath Institute for Church Life) reflected on ways technology may be used to enhance one's spiritual life.

To access Dr. Robinson's complete essay, please visit:

Boston Pilot: Echoes: Brett Robinson: Technology for contemplation (31 MAY 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment