14 March 2010

Padre Pio on Inner Peace

A recent post focused on a quote from Saint Francis de Sales about the importance of not losing one's inner peace. Padre Pio (a.k.a. Saint Pio of Pietrelcina) offers a similar reflection: "How important it is to avoid being upset by the trials and troubles of this life, for these things always tend to contract the heart rather than opening it up to trust God."

A related reflection, again by St. Francis de Sales, adds,"Worry prevents us from doing well the very things about which we are worried." And words of reinforcement come from Isaiah 41:10 - "Fear not, I am with you; be not dismayed; I am your God. I will strengthen you, and help you, and uphold you with my right hand of justice."

There are times when, as I faced with a challenging situation, I really need to take a few moments, place myself in The Lord's presence, empty my complete self (with all my cares and concerns and all the threads of what is swiling around me) into His loving hands. I ask Him to take take this package and place it into His Sacred Heart and cover it with His Precious Blood, and, telling Him I trust Him, I let go of the situation(s). I usually try to include a bit of quiet time (to the extent possible).

This is easier now than it used to be (from practice, I suspect).  Are the concerns still there? Of course, but now I'm coming at them from a refocused direction, and I have regained my inner peace (or at least to a large degree - I'm still a work in progress).

No comments:

Post a Comment