01 March 2010

Patience with Self

Today's quote from St. Francis De Sales (see links) advises me to "Be patient with everyone, but above all with yourself." Patience with self - I'm much better now than I used to be, but it's still a work in progress.

Editorial errors that I make, especially when I am in a hurry and don't proofread as well as I should, are a cause for concern. I try to be highly accurate with any written item - both with the facts involved and their interpretation as well as their presentation (mechanics, grammar, communication that does not lead to misinterpretation, etc.). I've become very good at kicking myself when I mess up in these areas, although I've become better at accepting these errors as learning opportunities and/or reinforcements and at offering them up as acts of penance.

Sometimes when I am in a hurry and do little stupid things (like spilling sugar on the counter), things that technically go against the laws of physics, I get a little upset. However, if three such little things happen in a row, I tend to laugh and smile at God. Many years ago while I was teaching at St. Patrick School, I was inspired to offer up some little acts as a prayer for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit on an upcoming faculty retreat. Shortly after I made that offering, I did one little stupid thing (the passing of years has clouded what the specifics were), and I scowled. Another little aggravating thing happened, and I scowled some more (I was doing something in the kitchen, and, the way I remember it, I was a little pressed for time.). Then a third little thing happened - and I stopped, remembered my little offering just serveral minutes earlier, burst out laughing, and shook my forefinger at God in a joking way (for He had taken me up on my offer, and I didn't initially catch on).

So, patience with myself is a work in progress, and the good Lord continues to give or allow many opportunities to practice this attribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment